In 2017, 354.15 million Sm3 natural gas was put on the market by 10 domestic producers who hold a wholesale licence. The amount of the gas put on the market through domestic production decreased by 3.58% comparing to 2016.
Natural gas exploration and production activities are subject to exploration and operation licences which are issues by the General Directorate of Petroleum Affairs (GDPA) as per the Turkish Petroleum Law No. 6491. Production activity is not considered to be a market activity as per the Law. Yet, the producers can market the natural gas they produce to wholesale companies, importer companies, exporter companies and distribution companies as long as they have obtained the wholesale license from the GDPA or to CNG sales companies and CNG transmission and distribution companies on condition that they market the natural gas directly from the well or to free consumers. In addition, production companies may export natural gas that they produce on condition that they have obtained the exportation license.
The companies which have obtained the wholesale licence are as follows:
- Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO)
- Transatlantic Exploration Mediterranean International Pty.Ltd. (TEMI)
- Tiway Turkey Limited (TIWAY)
- Thrace Basin Natural Gas Corporation (THRACE BASIN)
- Petrogas Petroleum Gas and Petrochemical Products Construction Ind. And Trade Company (PETROGAS)
- Tiway Turkey Petroleum Exploration and Production Company (TIWAY)
- Foinavon Energy, Inc. (FOINAVON)
- Amity Oil International Pty. Limited (AMITY) Corporate